Subscribe to The Long Thread Podcast:
When Melanie Falick started to knit as a young adult, she fell in love with everything about it: the creative potential of yarn and color, the meditative process, the useful finished product, the community of fellow makers, and the stories it can tell us about lives past and present.
She has spent the years since then sharing her passion for knitting, and handwork generally, through roles as an author, editor, and creative director. Her books and creative collaborations all reflect her belief that craft is a pathway to wellness for all of us—as individuals, community members, and citizens of this planet.
Melanie would like us to celebrate what we make with our hands with pride. Through the process of craft, she says, we can connect to our ancestors, our environment, the people around us, and our inner selves. And when we share our skills and enthusiasm, we can help to bring more beauty, contentment, and empathy into the world.
This episode is brought to you by:
Treenway Silks is where weavers, spinners, knitters and stitchers find the silk they love. Select from the largest variety of silk spinning fibers, silk yarn, and silk threads & ribbons at TreenwaySilks.com. You'll discover a rainbow of colors, thoughtfully hand-dyed in Colorado. Love natural? Treenway's array of wild silks provide choices beyond white.
If you love silk, you'll love Treenway Silks, where superior quality and customer service are guaranteed.
- Melanie’s Website
- The Maker's Way Survey
- Making a Life: The Conversation YouTube channel
- Melanie's Facebook page
- Melanie's Instagram
"The Carrier Bag Theory of Fiction" by Ursula K. LeGuin
- Kids Knitting is available in paperback.
- Knitting for Baby is available in paperback and as an eBook.
- Weekend Knitting and Handknit Holidays are available as eBooks, or they may be found in some libraries, in yarn shops, or secondhand.
- Knitting in America (later republished as America Knits) is out of print but may be found in some libraries, in yarn shops, or secondhand.